I’m Audrey Clement, the Independent candidate for Arlington County Board. As a 17-year Westover resident, long time civic activist, and past member of the Transportation Commission, I’m running for County Board because the Board has pushed harmful policies resulting in: overcrowded schools, gentrification, loss of green space, and a 10 year average annual effective tax rate increase that is twice the rate of inflation.
The coronavirus has challenged residents’ ability to make ends meet, with many businesses shuttered and people out of work. In response Fairfax County and Alexandria plan to reduce their tax rates. Not so Arlington. On April 20, 2021 County Board adopted a budget with an increased storm water surcharge that will in combination with rising assessments increase the effective local tax rate by 6 percent.
Another Board priority that I oppose is its push for so-called “missing middle” housing–multi-family dwellings like duplexes, triplexes and apartments in single family home neighborhoods. Contrary to what the County says, “missing middle” is a euphemism for up-zoning that will not make housing more affordable. Instead it will inflate land values, resulting in higher housing prices, overcrowded schools, more traffic congestion, loss of tree canopy, increased runoff and more air pollution. If elected, I pledge to:
- Say YES to affordable housing and NO to “Missing Middle” up-zoning.
- Seek immediate tax relief for residents and businesses.
- Preserve Arlington’s cultural heritage. Stop permitting the destruction of historic structures.
- Save our parks, streams and tree canopy. Stop clearcutting wooded areas on public property.
- Say YES to real social justice reforms and NO to symbolic gestures.
If you share my agenda, then:
- Spread the word about my candidacy.
- Donate to my campaign.
- Help make the “Arlington Way” more than an empty phrase.