I’m Audrey Clement, the Independent candidate for Arlington School Board. As a 14-year Westover resident and civic activist–with a Ph.D. in Political Science and service as a Congressional Fellow–I’m running for School Board, because the county faces several crises that Arlington Public Schools (APS) has failed to address. These include:
- excessive capital spending with millions wasted on schools that have insufficient capacity when built;
- overcrowded schools with thousands of kids crammed into trailers;
- declining high school test scores;
- persistent minority student achievement gap.
My opponent Barbara Kanninen has lost touch with the voters. As School Board chair, Kanninen recently rammed through a resolution to change the name of Washington-Lee High School with no public notice despite widespread opposition to the name change.
If elected, I pledge to:
- Preserve the name: Washington-Lee High School.
- Reverse declining high school test scores.
- Close the minority student achievement gap.
- Rein in profligate School Board spending.
- Listen to the concerns of all taxpayers.
- Build schools not trailers on time an on budget.
- Mainstream special needs students.
- End “teaching to the test”.
- Install efficient renewable energy in all public schools.
- Promote school safety with a focus on violence prevention.
As a long-time community activist and current member of the Arlington Transportation Commission, I am confident that I can deliver on my pledge.
If you share my agenda, then:
- Spread the word about my candidacy.
- Volunteer to help.
- Donate to my campaign.
Together we can provide our children with a better education at less cost.