I’m Audrey Clement, the Independent candidate for Arlington School Board. As a 14-year Westover resident and civic activist–with a Ph.D. in Political Science and service as a Congressional Fellow–I’m running for School Board, because the county faces several crises that Arlington Public Schools (APS) has failed to address. These include:
- excessive capital spending with millions wasted on schools that have insufficient capacity when built
- overcrowded schools with thousands of kids crammed into trailers
- declining high school test scores
- persistent minority student achievement gap
My opponent Barbara Kanninen has lost touch with the voters. As School Board chair, Kanninen recently rammed through a resolution to change the name of Washington-Lee High School with no public notice despite widespread opposition to the name change.
If elected, I pledge to:
- Keep the name of Washington-Lee High School, the first integrated public high school in Virginia
- Accelerate new school construction to provide classrooms on time and on budget
- Reverse declining high school test scores
- Rein in profligate School Board spending
- Promote school safety with a focus on violence prevention
- Provide tutoring for under achievers
- End “teaching to the test”
- Mainstream special needs students
- Install efficient renewable energy in all public schools
- Respond to the concerns of all taxpayers
As a long-time community activist and current member of the Arlington Transportation Commission, I am confident that I can deliver on my pledge.
If you share my agenda, then:
- Spread the word about my candidacy
- Volunteer to help
- Donate to my campaign
Together we can provide Arlington students with a better education at less cost.