I’m Audrey Clement, the Independent candidate for Arlington School Board. As a 14-year Westover resident and civic activist–with a Ph.D. in Political Science and service as a Congressional Fellow–I’m running for School Board, because the County faces several crises that Arlington Public Schools (APS) has failed to address. These include:
- excessive capital spending with millions wasted on schools that have insufficient capacity when built;
- overcrowded schools with thousands of kids crammed into trailers;
- declining high school test scores;
- a persistent minority student achievement gap.
My opponent Barbara Kanninen has lost touch with the voters. As School Board chair, Kanninen recently rammed through a resolution to change the name of Washington-Lee High School with no public notice despite widespread opposition to the name change.
In addition state report card data indicates that during Ms. Kanninen’s tenure on the School Board, Arlington high school pass rates have declined. In fact W-L pass rates have declined from 2015 to 2018 in all 5 subjects measured, and Wakefield and Yorktown in 4. So APS clearly needs new leadership to turn this situation around.
If elected, I pledge to:
- Preserve the name: Washington-Lee High School.
- Reverse declining high school test scores.
- Close the minority student achievement gap.
- Rein in profligate School Board spending.
- Listen to the concerns of all taxpayers on the siting of new schools.
- Build schools not trailers on time an on budget.
- Mainstream special needs students to the extent practicable.
- End “teaching to the test”.
- Install efficient renewable energy in all public schools.
- Promote school safety with a focus on violence prevention.
As a long-time community activist and current member of the Arlington Transportation Commission, I am confident that I can deliver on my pledge.
If you share my agenda, then:
- Spread the word about my candidacy.
- Volunteer to help.
- Donate to my campaign.
Together we can provide our children with a better education at less cost.